Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Review (Movie Theater) - Cinema 21

At least until I stop having a life during the UP nursing program (henceforth to be known simply as "The Program"), I'd like to spout my opinion about some of the places I go and the things I do and see while I'm there. Here's the first of these reviews:

--

Links and info:

Official Site
insiderpages.com

Review:

Though I've known about this theater for nearly as long as I can remember (more than a week, anyway), I somehow never made it to a movie there until this last Monday night. After going there, I'm very sorry to have missed it all this time.

I've been going more and more often to small / independent theaters as opposed to the the monster multiplexes. Don't get me wrong, I still love the giant-screen possibilities available at the bigger places, but there's something special about seeing a film in a place that has more of an identity and personality than are generally to be found at the local Movies-At-The-Mall.

Cinema 21 is the perfect example of this. It has one quite large (in "small theater" terms) auditorium and a homey dinginess to the decor. I love it!

Admission was $8.00. Not much cheaper than Regal Cinemas, but I would have gotten a better deal had I realized my ticket would have been a dollar less if I'd shown them my student ID. Next time...

Concessions were standard theater fare, and I didn't buy any. No beer to be found. :(

The crowd that night was fairly small, and I felt like I'd joined a sort of club just by being there. Conversations broke out between several pairs of strangers.

The only negative aspects to the experience both had to do with the seats. The most annoying part was that the seats were VERY squeaky. The other issue was that they were also kind of uncomfortable... which wouldn't have been as much of an issue if I hadn't needed to worry about drowning out the actors with every half-inch butt-position readjustment. I am very seriously considering bringing some WD-40 next time.

Either way, though, I'll definitely be going back.

No comments: