Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More background: Work

For a little over four years now (the longest I've ever been with a single employer), I've been working as a web developer for a video rental company. The tiny bit of actual web development that I get to do is fairly interesting and enjoyable, but that actually takes up less than 25% of my time... some weeks even less. The rest of the time consists of muddling through the insanely convoluted layers of bureaucracy and illogical red tape standing in the way of getting anything done, dealing with or avoiding juvenile office politics or incompetent coworkers, or trying to find ways to seem busy when there's nothing for me to do.

It has been a pretty sweet situation for me... I feel really fortunate in a lot of ways. I'm getting paid more than I ever have before, my schedule is fairly flexible, I'm salaried but almost never have to work extra hours or weekends, there's a very casual dress code (e.g. I doubt I will have worn anything on my feet this week besides flip-flops), and, overall, there's really not that much that's required of me to keep my boss happy.

This will all be coming to an end very soon. I have been very clearly warned by several people that I won't be able to work much if at all once I start my nursing education proper. The "several people" includes my friend and fellow nursing student Krista, who is a year ahead of me in the same UP program into which I'll be diving in a few short months, and about whom you'll almost definitely read more in future posts: she has been incredibly helpful by letting me know what to expect based on her experiences there so far. By the time January comes around, I may be the most informed and forewarned new student in the whole cohort based on Krista's info.
Anyway, she has mentioned that most of her fellow students are not working while they're in school, and the ones who are are pretty much hating life right now.

I haven't completely given up the idea of working part-time during my time at UP, but my current employer doesn't really have any part-time positions. Besides, if I am able to work at all, it may have to be a job where I can use downtime to work on homework etc. That wouldn't go over very well here.

So anyway, I'll be quitting this job in less than four months now, and I'm getting more excited by the day. I can't wait to leave the mind-numbing tedium and blood-boiling lunacy of office work to embark on the last and most important leg of my journey toward a career where my actions each day will mean something, even life-or-death, for many people. I'll be saying goodbye to a company I don't care about in an industry that is obsolete (who really thinks people will still be driving to a store to rent a dvd in another decade??) in exchange for a role where I'm truly needed.

That will be a very welcome and long-awaited change...

5 comments:

Kristalox said...

This is so GENIUS!!! Just today, I was sitting with seven or so other female nursing students on our last day of an absolutely brutal clinical rotation. We were bitching up a storm about everything and anything and there was this Murse sitting next to us who was a former UP grad. As we bitched and bitched and bitched, I asked myself..."how do guys cope in nursing school?" Do they bitch? Surely, they must do something, becuase this crap has to come out! So hey, kudos on the blog, you ADHD chipmunk! And if you don't already know, you'll be able to figure out what medication you could take for ADHD,the contraindications, the side effects, dosages, routes, nursing actions, etc., etc., etc. Oh and then you'll have about 200 other drugs to learn too. So why don't you just go ahead and memorize the whole drug book! Yeah, just a couple thousand pages, you'll be fine!

Dude, seriously congrats on getting this far. It is going to be tough and UP will stretch you in ways you never knew were possible. Just remember, it's all doable and it won't last forever. And yes, I still don't think you should work if you want any sort of life - you know - eat, sleep, play hacky sack, whatever. I will so help you out with anything I can. Just remember, if you want the right answer, you should ask your wife!!! If you want to know how to get through UP, I am so there. :)

Go Pilots!

krista

Kristalox said...

Oh and I can't wait until your clinical blogs start so you can be like "today, I learned how to insert a suppository... but I couldn't find my patients rectum, because of all of the hemorrhoids..."

Jason said...

LOL, cool... I'm glad you like it! :D

Yeah, I hope I still have my memorization skillz. My last few classes (including Microbiology, surprisingly) haven't really required a whole lot of memorization, so I'm probably kind of rusty.

With Tiff, and you, and other friends I have that are nurses or nursing students, I feel really fortunate to have so many sources of help around!

Chuck said...

I am left with the hope that my wife's business takes off soon enough that she requires my full-time help, but until then I am stuck. (Then again I plan to retire at 35, so ... trade-off)

Anyway, I've seen "the tip of the iceberg" of truly useless knowledge you've memorized, so I'm sure a few tens of thousands of drugs won't be too hard ;)

Jason said...

At least all that drug info will actually be useful!

I'm curious what this "tip of the iceberg" you're referring to is...