Tuesday, October 7, 2008

CPR

Gotta jumpstart this blog again. Sorry for the delay... I hope I haven't driven away my millions of faithful readers.

Anyway, I finished my History of the Old Testament class this summer with a fairly mediocre grade. Enough to pass etc, but I was a little too demotivated by the sun etc to really put my heart into it. It's hard not to feel that the rest of my studies now are just a prelude to "real" school, which won't start until January.

I tried to skate by without buying a textbook (so often in online classes I haven't ever used one), but it would have been very helpful in this case. I ended up getting one in time for the final exam, and that was enough to get me through...

I've begun the fall quarter at MHCC and my last two prerequisites:

- World Religions (Independent study) -- Chris Jackson
- Nutrition (Online) -- Jack Brook

World Religions required an orientation last week. There I found out that the entirety of my grade will be based on three progressive exams and one comprehensive plus some worksheets that I turn in each time that I go in for an exam. This is going to work out really well since MHCC is about 30-45 minutes from my house.
The other cool thing about that class is that everything is self-paced. If I wanted to cram for a few days and go take all my exams next week or something, I could be done with the class next week. I don't think I'll do exactly that, but it's nice to have that kind of freedom.
The instructor, Chris Jackson, heads the philosophy department @ MHCC, and seems like a really cool guy. I would love to take more classes from him...
I have no plans to buy a textbook for the World Religions class.

Taking Nutrition online seems to be working okay too, though I will definitely need the textbook I just ordered on Amazon. There are a few more requirements for this class than for World Religions, but nothing too difficult.
I sure do like the online class system at PCC better than this one at MHCC. The PCC version seems a lot more intuitive and better-organized. Maybe it's just me, though.

I confirmed yesterday that my first day of class @ UP will be January 12. Just a little more than 3 months. It's hard to believe it's coming so soon! It seems like such a short time since I took my first prerequisite, before I even knew for sure that I wanted to go into Nursing. I'm feeling pretty intimidated by the UP Nursing program at this point, so I kind of hope the next two years go by as quickly... :)

4 comments:

Derrick said...

Your entire contingent of fans just commented. Maybe you should re-title your blog... letterstoderrick.blogspot.com ;)

Jason said...

Or how about letterstoderrickwhoisanassholewhenhecomments.blogspot.com?

Unknown said...

Maybe imreallytoolazytoblogdependablybutsometimesigetawildhairupmyass.blogspot.com

...whatever.com
?

Jason said...

LOL